Free shipping on all US orders

10 Plants that are dangerous for your pets!

April 08, 2018

10 Plants that are dangerous for your pets!

Spring is in the air and as your gardens begins to flower and you take your dog on walks, beware of some of the most popular toxic plants. 

 Autumn Crocus: not to be mistaken with Spring Crocus. The Autumn Crocus is highly toxic and can cause severe vomiting, gastrointestinal bleeding, liver and kidney damage, and respiratory failure 

 Azalea: Eating even a few leaves can result in vomiting, diarrhea and excessive drooling; without immediate veterinary attention, the pet could fall into a coma and possibly die.

 Cyclamen: The roots of this seasonal flowering plant are especially dangerous to pets. If ingested, cyclamen can cause severe vomiting and even death.

 Kalanchoe: This popular flowering succulent plant can cause vomiting, diarrhea and heart arrhythmias if ingested by pets.

 Lilies: There are dangerous and benign lilies out there, and it’s important to know the difference. Peace, Peruvian, and Calla lilies contain oxalate crystals that cause minor signs, such as tissue irritation to the mouth, tongue, pharynx, and esophagus – this results in minor drooling. The more dangerous, potentially fatal lilies are true lilies, and these include Tiger, Day, Asiatic, Easter and Japanese Show lilies – all of which are highly toxic to cats!

 Oleander: Oleander is an outdoor shrub, popular for its evergreen qualities and delicate flowers. However, the leaves and flowers are extremely toxic if ingested and can cause severe vomiting, slow the heart rate and possibly even cause death.

 Dieffenbachia:  Popular in many homes and offices, dieffenbachia can cause intense oral irritation, drooling, nausea, vomiting and difficulty swallowing if ingested.

 Daffodils: Ingestion of the bulb, plant or flower can cause severe vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and even possible cardiac arrhythmias or respiratory depression.

 Lily of the Valley:  symptoms include vomiting, diarrhea, a drop in heart rate, severe cardiac arrhythmias, and possibly seizures.

 Sago Palm: this household and outdoor plant can be very harmful to pets. If ingested, the leaves and seeds can cause vomiting, bloody stools, damage to the stomach lining, severe liver failure and, in some cases, death.

 Tulips & Hyacinths: Toxics are concentrated in the bulbs, if bulbs are chewed or ingested, it can result in tissue irritation to the mouth and esophagus. Typical signs include profuse drooling, vomiting, or even diarrhea, depending on the amount consumed. 

If you suspect your pet has ingested any of these or any other poisonous plants please visit your veterinarian as soon as possible. 





Leave a comment

Comments will be approved before showing up.


Also in News

Can CBD Oil help anxious pets?
Can CBD Oil help anxious pets?

August 10, 2018

Can CBD Oil help anxious pets? 

As pet parents we feel hopeless when our pets become anxious and we do not know how to help them. Can CBD Oil be the answer to helping pets deal with thunder, lightening and other anxieties? 

View full article →

7 Myths of feeding your dog a raw diet
7 Myths of feeding your dog a raw diet

June 20, 2018

Myths of Raw Diets

View full article →

10 Telltale Signs Your Dog is Unhappy
10 Telltale Signs Your Dog is Unhappy

July 31, 2017

View full article →